Re: Git? (Was: Team maint update)

Hi Marco,

Am Samstag, den 04.07.2009, 10:24 -0300 schrieb Marco Túlio Gontijo e
Silva:
> Em Sat, 04 Jul 2009 09:54:25 +0200
> Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> escreveu:
> (...)
> > I have a question WRT that layout. With SVN, it would be possible to
> > check out the debian/ folder of one package directly into the
> > unpackaged upstream source, thus allowing for regular
> > dpkg-buildpackage work. Now, darcs does not have the feature of
> > checking out subdirectories.
> >
> > How do you set up your directories? Do you copy the debian/ dir to the
> > upstream sources, and manually copy them back after changes? Do you
> > never keep the upstream sources unpackaged and have a
> > dpkg-buildpackage wrapper that handles that for you?
>
> I've just added a script to the darcs repository that extracts the upstream
> source, from watch, copies the debian/ dir and builds the package.  It's called
> build-pkg-haskell.  For usage, see the comments in the code.
>
> To add a new package, create a directory $PACKAGE in the repository, and
> that will be the debian/ directory for this package.  To build it, just run
> build-pkg-haskell with the correct parameters.
>
> I created a page in the wiki about how to use the darcs repository:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Haskell/CollabMaint/DarcsBasic .  Please complete it, if
> you like.

May I propose a change to the darcs repository layout? I’d suggest we
actually do have one darcs repository, containing the debian/ files, per
package. The advantages are:
 * A tool very similar to build-pkg-haskell can be created
(pkg-haskell-checkout, or an improved debcheckout). Given a package
name, it would, like your script, fetch the upstream tarball, but not
only copy the _contents_ of the repository to debian/, but rather put
the repository at debian/. This way, you have one place where you can
make and commit changes, but also build the package as usual. This has
also the advantage that you can use dpkg-buildpackage, debuild, pdebuild
or whatever you like there, it’s not tied to our tools.
 * The Vcs-Darcs: line is more meaningful than just
  Vcs-Darcs: http://darcs.debian.org/darcs/pkg-haskell/
This is especially interesting with an improved debcheckout.

I find the first one quite important: Not being able to build from the
directory you are working on is suboptimal, having the upstream sources
at the usual place is good to check the .cabal file and in general it’s
a more common setup.

I know that we are losing the one-repository-advantages, which is
unfortunate, but the issues written above are more important, IMHO.

Maybe I’ll set it up for a package to better describe what I mean, if
it’s unclear.