RE: More questions about debian on Zaurus

Klaus (& Matt),

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:33:07PM +0100, Simon Pickering wrote:
>> Though I'm new I am a quick learner. My main goal is to have a
working
>> native X environment on my Z. Most of the stuff I use is X based and
>> presume I can find something to fulfil my PIM needs (which are
basic).

>> If I can manage a useful window manager then I'll have something to
>> play with at least.

> I'd still recommend going with the chroot / pivot_root-based approach
and having the
> entire distribution on an SD/MMC card - on Matt's system, the root
filesystem is in the
> built-in flash storage, you have to manually move /usr and other large
directories onto
> external storage. This can be rather tricky to get right, and if
you're not careful you
> can lock up your system or run out of space at inconvenient times.

I'm not worried about this, I've been running with /usr/local symlinked
to an MMC card since I got my Zaurus.

> My "pocketworkstation" distribution does work natively on the SL-5x00
and SL-C7x0 (using
> pivot_root to switch over entirely to the root filesystem on the
SD/MMC card), and
> contains a default icewm configuration. Nearly all X11 apps work after
a simple "apt-get
> install" as long as the space for them is available.

I'd really like something which will work from the ROM (and has a
writable ROM as it pains me to think that that storage is sat there
effectively unused - Crow ROM and even OZ for example) and then I can
use MMC/CF cards to add storage space for /usr etc.. I don't really want
to use the Crow ROM as I'd like a system which will work (even if it's
only ion a very basic fashion) without needing any external storage
cards. This is why the native debian or OZ + GPE tempt me.

(http://www.w-m-p.com/software/pocketworkstation/gnu-tar.gz),
> or the modified Crow ROM?

It would appear to be partly busybox, I tried the gnu-tar file and
didn't get any hard-links not supported messages which I did with the
normal (OZ3.2 busybox) version of tar.

My version of busybox (OZ3.2) is: v0.61.pre (2003.03.28-19:37+0000).

I didn't follow you instructions exactly (oops), I did:
# ./gnu-tar -zxvpf zaurus-debian-*.tgz

I presume this should have the same effect as your zcat method? If not I
can try again.

FYI there's probably another problem with this version of busybox -
fdisk doesn't work. Though this isn't relevant to our discussion. Oh and
nor does mknod I think I read on the forum.

There are still issues with running on OZ as I still don't get IceWM. I
get an error after starting Vncserver:

# Vncserver &
# /usr/local/bin/zvncserver: line 24: cannot redirect standard input
from /dev/null: Permission denied

It also looks like OZ doesn't re-run the scripts which are placed in
/etc/rc2.d. I remember reading that OZ did something strange like not
run these scripts until opie exited, possibly because opie is started in
/etc/rc2.d?

-Klaus