Re: More questions about debian on Zaurus

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:15:32PM +0100, Simon Pickering wrote:
> I'm not worried about this, I've been running with /usr/local symlinked
> to an MMC card since I got my Zaurus.

/usr/local is reserved for your own data and dpkg doesn't touch it (other
than creating the initial structure), so symlinking that doesn't break
anything.

However, for the Debian installation, you'll need to move /usr and /var
to external storage as soon as you want a more than minimal system, since
dpkg currently does not support redirecting specific packages to other
locations.

> I'd really like something which will work from the ROM (and has a
> writable ROM as it pains me to think that that storage is sat there
> effectively unused - Crow ROM and even OZ for example) and then I can
> use MMC/CF cards to add storage space for /usr etc.. I don't really want
> to use the Crow ROM as I'd like a system which will work (even if it's
> only ion a very basic fashion) without needing any external storage
> cards. This is why the native debian or OZ + GPE tempt me.

I'm not sure if that approach is feasible without major modifications to
dpkg (Matt describes the needed changes on his web page). If you keep
/usr and /var on the internal flash, you'll immediately run out of space
if you try to use apt/dpkg to install any nontrivial applications.

If you move /usr and/or /var onto external storage, the system won't work
anymore without the storage card, so you might as well move the entire
thing there (that's what I did).

Manually modifying symlinks to keep the essential things on the internal
flash and move big apps to the external storage would IMHO be
unmaintainable. And if you make a mistake your system is unbootable.
With the pivot_root and dual boot setup, you still have a second
installation available if something goes wrong. (It doesn't need much
space if you delete the GUI.)

So my recommendation is to just accept that the SD/MMC slot is dedicated
to the OS storage (you still have the CF slot available for expansions),
and (if you have a writable flash) keep documents and other user data in
the space available there.

> It would appear to be partly busybox, I tried the gnu-tar file and
> didn't get any hard-links not supported messages which I did with the
> normal (OZ3.2 busybox) version of tar.
>
> My version of busybox (OZ3.2) is: v0.61.pre (2003.03.28-19:37+0000).

Weird, that's newer than the version that works on my machine. Are you
going to file a bug report with them about this?

IMHO busybox should still try to be POSIX compliant and not simply rip
out random features that someone thought aren't needed often...

> I didn't follow you instructions exactly (oops), I did:
> # ./gnu-tar -zxvpf zaurus-debian-*.tgz
>
> I presume this should have the same effect as your zcat method? If not I
> can try again.

Yes, that's the same thing. The instructions used zcat since busybox tar
doesn't support the -z option. I'm going to change it back to your
method, to force people to use GNU tar...

> There are still issues with running on OZ as I still don't get IceWM. I
> get an error after starting Vncserver:
>
> # Vncserver &
> # /usr/local/bin/zvncserver: line 24: cannot redirect standard input
> from /dev/null: Permission denied

Can you please do an "ls -l" on dev/null in the debroot? It should look
like this:
	crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       1,   3 Jul 25 00:21 dev/null

If mknod would work, you could recreate it like this:
	rm dev/null; mknod -m 666 dev/null c 1 3

> It also looks like OZ doesn't re-run the scripts which are placed in
> /etc/rc2.d. I remember reading that OZ did something strange like not
> run these scripts until opie exited, possibly because opie is started in
> /etc/rc2.d?

If that's the case, rename the startup links with earlier numbers - they
are started in alphabetical order.

-Klaus