Re: Esound versus Alsa versus GStreamer versus GNOME versus 2.6 versus ...

You forget that ALSA is Linux-only. Debian also runs on a freebsd kernel
and on the Hurd (freebsd only does OSS AFAIK, and I don't even know what
the Hurd has for audio, even if it *has* audio at all).

kr,

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Loïc Minier wrote:

>         Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005, David Gerber wrote:
> > Isn't it better to stay with osssink until GStreamer gets its
> > autoconfiguration feature? ALSA can provide the OSS API but the other way
> > round isn't true.
>
>  If we stick with a default of OSS, we'll never get rid of it.  OSS
>  should now be for people for which ALSA doesn't work at all.
>
>  ALSA provides things that OSS failed to provide, and defaulting to OSS
>  would probably stop a lot of people from getting advanced
>  functionalities, such as 5.1 sound.
>    Plus OSS has issues which are not always well addressed in modern
>  apps (such as with the number of mixers or muting).
>

>  This proposal is about some sort of default configuration into ALSA in
>  Debian, but it's not meant to hinder access to OSS support: you can
>  still prefer OSS packages, and even with ALSA everywhere, you still
>  have the OSS compatibility you mention.
>

>  I don't have any statistics in the number of sound cards not supported
>  by ALSA, and I'm certainly not pushing for the removal of OSS, but I'd
>  be interested in actual data comparing benefits of ALSA and
>  inconvenients of the switch.  I only speak from personal experience
>  though.
>
>    Bye,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz@ULYSSIS.Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."