Re: Esound versus Alsa versus GStreamer versus GNOME versus 2.6 versus ...

        Hi,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005, David Gerber wrote:
> Isn't it better to stay with osssink until GStreamer gets its
> autoconfiguration feature? ALSA can provide the OSS API but the other way
> round isn't true.

 If we stick with a default of OSS, we'll never get rid of it.  OSS
 should now be for people for which ALSA doesn't work at all.

 ALSA provides things that OSS failed to provide, and defaulting to OSS
 would probably stop a lot of people from getting advanced
 functionalities, such as 5.1 sound.
   Plus OSS has issues which are not always well addressed in modern
 apps (such as with the number of mixers or muting).

 This proposal is about some sort of default configuration into ALSA in
 Debian, but it's not meant to hinder access to OSS support: you can
 still prefer OSS packages, and even with ALSA everywhere, you still
 have the OSS compatibility you mention.

 I don't have any statistics in the number of sound cards not supported
 by ALSA, and I'm certainly not pushing for the removal of OSS, but I'd
 be interested in actual data comparing benefits of ALSA and
 inconvenients of the switch.  I only speak from personal experience
 though.

   Bye,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>