Re: Esound versus Alsa versus GStreamer versus GNOME versus 2.6 versus ...

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 16:11, Loïc Minier wrote:

>  If we stick with a default of OSS, we'll never get rid of it.  OSS
>  should now be for people for which ALSA doesn't work at all.

Or works badly. Personally I use ALSA only on configs which use low end
soundcards and need dmix to be able to play several sounds at once without
having those annoying sound daemons and their issues.

>  I don't have any statistics in the number of sound cards not supported
>  by ALSA, and I'm certainly not pushing for the removal of OSS, but I'd
>  be interested in actual data comparing benefits of ALSA and
>  inconvenients of the switch.  I only speak from personal experience
>  though.

I use OSS on my desktop setup because each time I try with ALSA I get nonsense
like sound saturation (and playing with the mixer didn't get rid of those)
and sound stopping suddenly without reasons. The card (YMF440) has 32
hardware voices so dmix is not needed. With OSS it just works (tm), maybe I
don't have 5.1 sound but I couldn't care less :)

Having stats about actual sound setup usage would be interesting indeed.

--
David Gerber - http://zapek.com/