Re: Esound versus Alsa versus GStreamer versus GNOME versus 2.6 versus ...

On 9/14/05, Chipzz <chipzz@ulyssis.org> wrote:
You forget that ALSA is Linux-only. Debian also runs on a freebsd kernel
and on the Hurd (freebsd only does OSS AFAIK, and I don't even know what
the Hurd has for audio, even if it *has* audio at all).

IMHO, i don't think this is a valid point. FreeBSD people who run debian would know how to turn GStreamer back to ossink from Gnome. FreeBSD is used by a small niche of geeks. Linux (all distros) and especially Debian, is used by all sorts of people. So, making things easier for the un-initiated while allowing the power users to always switch back is the Right Thing To Do (tm).
Remember that no one is saying to leave OSS support out, ALSA already supports this. And no one is saying to make esound (esd) the default sound server and turn it on for all; we all have bad experiences with esound.

In short:

- ALSA supporting OSS as default (for 2.6 kernels)
- esound/esd off (as usual)
- GStreamer set to use ALSA sink by default (power users would know how to deal with this)

I see that like a good plan.

And just in case, I thought the Hurd was dead as in dead! But, i guess that as all other GNU projects, it'll always be around...

kr,

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Loïc Minier wrote:

>         Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005, David Gerber wrote:
> > Isn't it better to stay with osssink until GStreamer gets its
> > autoconfiguration feature? ALSA can provide the OSS API but the other way
> > round isn't true.
>
>  If we stick with a default of OSS, we'll never get rid of it.  OSS
>  should now be for people for which ALSA doesn't work at all.
>
>  ALSA provides things that OSS failed to provide, and defaulting to OSS
>  would probably stop a lot of people from getting advanced
>  functionalities, such as 5.1 sound.
>    Plus OSS has issues which are not always well addressed in modern
>  apps (such as with the number of mixers or muting).
>

>  This proposal is about some sort of default configuration into ALSA in
>  Debian, but it's not meant to hinder access to OSS support: you can
>  still prefer OSS packages, and even with ALSA everywhere, you still
>  have the OSS compatibility you mention.
>

>  I don't have any statistics in the number of sound cards not supported
>  by ALSA, and I'm certainly not pushing for the removal of OSS, but I'd
>  be interested in actual data comparing benefits of ALSA and
>  inconvenients of the switch.  I only speak from personal experience
>  though.
>
>    Bye,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout