Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 08:52:23 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Anand Kumria">
>
>> To me a GNOME release is a "we believe these packages work well
>> together". I don't think it should necessitate them being packaged /
>> uploaded all at once.
>
> There's a long pre-GNOME-team history of piecemeal upgrades being total
> disasters, strongly discouraged by upstream, without the maintainer
> showing an inkling of concern. The current Debian GNOME Team strategy of
> assembling in experimental and then folding a complete upgrade into
> unstable has been far and away more successful than any previous, less
> disciplined, upgrades.

However the release managers _want_ piecemeal upgrades to work. In fact,
iirc, that was the criteria for getting Gnome 2.8 into testing.

That a piecemeal upgrade not break things.

I don't think the upgrade process is any better than is was when under
prior maintainership.  It's just a different trade-off: slow-moving, but
relatively stable, piecemeal upgrades versus big-bang style, upgrade or
break (and frequently upgrade and break), transitions from one version of
gnome to the other.

Anand