Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

<quote who="Anand Kumria">

> However the release managers _want_ piecemeal upgrades to work. In fact,
> iirc, that was the criteria for getting Gnome 2.8 into testing.
>
> That a piecemeal upgrade not break things.

It always has, and (most likely) always will.

> I don't think the upgrade process is any better than is was when under
> prior maintainership.  It's just a different trade-off: slow-moving, but
> relatively stable, piecemeal upgrades versus big-bang style, upgrade or
> break (and frequently upgrade and break), transitions from one version of
> gnome to the other.

The piecemeal upgrades have never been relatively stable. Unless you track
the GNOME development branch religiously (and even then, you generally need
to track each complete versioned GNOME tarball release), piecemeal upgrades
by a team of maintainers will not be (and have not been) stable or useful.

The current strategy of pulling together a release in experimental and then
dropping it to unstable is optimal, and much to the relief of upstream and
users alike.

The upgrade process under the current Debian GNOME Team is demonstrably
better, simpler and faster than it was before (unless, perhaps, if you count
GNOME 1.x).

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

             It's not just a song! It's a document of my life!