Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:31:55 +0000, Robert McQueen wrote:

> The difference now is that because hoary is planning to release with 2.10,
> which is not out yet, it currently contains packages of the 2.9
> development releases by way of a preview, and is less stable as a
> consequence. These would never have been in Debian anyway.

That's really a maintainer decision to make.

I have no issue with 'breaking' unstable if required.  If you are
intelligent enough to be running it, then you'll either have the packages
that are critical to you on hold or you can cope with the problem.

Users who want "fresh and reasonably stable" I direct to testing.

> If you like your desktop to be a bit broken, this is an improvement on
> before - you can get the development releases as debs from hoary without
> having to compile stuff from source. The experience for more sane Debian
> users hasn't changed. I'll wait for 2.10 to hit experimental, and then
> maybe try it or wait for it to move into unstable. :)

And then all the other people who build against various Gnome/gtk libs
discover that because of incompatible source code changes, things that
previously built with, say, one version of gtk+ requires updates for the
new version.

That kind of problem is something that is well hidden from other
developers and really destroys the utility of having 'unstable' in the
first place.

To me a GNOME release is a "we believe these packages work well together".
I don't think it should necessitate them being packaged / uploaded all at
once.

Cheers,
Anand