Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

El lun, 07-02-2005 a las 00:04 +1100, Anand Kumria escribió:
> [...]
> That a piecemeal upgrade not break things.
>
> I don't think the upgrade process is any better than is was when under
> prior maintainership.  It's just a different trade-off: slow-moving, but
> relatively stable, piecemeal upgrades versus big-bang style, upgrade or
> break (and frequently upgrade and break), transitions from one version of
> gnome to the other.

Sorry, this is not true. When I started using Debian two years ago,
Gnome in testing was so broken for a long time that I switched to
unstable. When I say broken I mean that you couldn't start a
gnome-session without all of gnome segfaulting, the first nautilus.

Now I maintaing some servers (serving gnome sessions thougth xdmcp), and
testing is in a very good shape.

So your trade-off is "nothing working" vs "working packages in
experimental at release date, working packages in testing within three
weeks".

If you think it was better than now...

Regards,

Emilio