Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

<quote who="Martin-Éric Racine">

> Rob Adams <readams@readams.net> writes:
> > Such rambling is more than unproductive; it actually causes severe
> > injury to free software because few people enjoy being abused in this
> > way.  Always treat any posting to a public mailing list as though the
> > developer you're criticizing were reading it; it's quite likely that
> > this is indeed the case.
>
> Users also don't enjoy being abused by upstream's ever-changing file
> selector, file browser and web browser, because this sort of drastic
> change is disruptive;

We have had ONE change of file selector (GTK+ 2.2 to 2.4), ONE significant
change to the default operation of the Nautilus file manager (GNOME 2.4 to
2.6) and ONE inclusion of a web browser into the official GNOME releases
(Ephiphany in 2.4, note that we'd never shipped a web browser before).

> just as soon as you thought you had found a comfortable desktop,
> Pennington wrecks havoc into it by changing the basic functionalities all
> over again.

Havoc has nothing to do with it. There was a simple community consensus on
these issues, *none* of them being instigated by Havoc.

> The file selector in Gnome 2.4 *worked* and thus needed NO rewrite.

One of the major complaints about GTK+ and GNOME since... forever... has
been the old file selector. I'm sure that anyone even vaguely familiar with
the GNOME project would be aware of that -> as I'm sure you are. :-)

- Jeff

--
OSCON 2004: Portland OR, USA           http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

     "It is said that there are only six jokes in the world, and I can
    assure you that we can only broadcast three of them..." - John Watt,
                   the BBC's Head of Variety in the 30's