Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

Rob Adams <readams@readams.net> writes:
> Such rambling is more than unproductive; it actually causes severe
> injury to free software because few people enjoy being abused in this
> way.  Always treat any posting to a public mailing list as though the
> developer you're criticizing were reading it; it's quite likely that
> this is indeed the case.

Users also don't enjoy being abused by upstream's ever-changing file selector,
file browser and web browser, because this sort of drastic change is disruptive;
just as soon as you thought you had found a comfortable desktop, Pennington
wrecks havoc into it by changing the basic functionalities all over again. The
file selector in Gnome 2.4 *worked* and thus needed NO rewrite. It also followed
the tab completion paradigm that exists everywhere else in command line shells,
which successfully maintains consistance accross the whole OS, while the file
selector in Gnome 2.6 breaks that. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broken,
don't fix it.  Upstream seems to repeatedly forget the wisdom in that.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/