Problems starting up GNOME & KDE

Hello

I'm having problems starting up both the GNOME and the
KDE environments.

I'm running Debian Sarge and I selected the GNOME
packages in aptitude during the install. The X server
(version 4.3.0.1) starts up normally, without any
errors, but when I tried to start up GNOME (using
gdm), all I saw was the splash screen. After a long
time (about a minute) it would disappear, and all I
get is a blank screen. Doing a "ps -A", though, shows
that gnome-session is still running.

I then went back to aptitude and installed KDE (3.2)
as well, as I thought that it might be a GNOME
problem. However, when I launched KDE (using gdm), I
see only the splash screen and the little icons at the
bottom that are colored as KDE starts up. But KDE
seems to hang at the second icon (initializing system
services) and the icon just keeps blinking for about a
minute, then, like GNOME, the entire splash screen
disappears and I get a blank screen. Running "ps -A"
shows multiple (10, actually) processes with the same
name, kdeinit.

I couldn't find a way to fix this, perhaps because I
don't know where GNOME (or gdm) keeps its log files,
so I can look at them and try to make sense out of it.
It is also interesting that starting just a window
manager (IceWM, Window Maker) will work.

I'm just a beginner to Linux (having used Red Hat 9)
and a newbie to Debian (after Red Hat stopped Red Hat
Linux development) so please excuse me if my questions
seem silly. Thanks for your help! :-)

Jason Wan