Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 02:57:11PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 02:30:32PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Actually, I knew about ^L for a long time but I can't remember
> > > having
> >
> > So you are on of enlightened ?
>
> I just happened to read the relevant reviews on the news sites. The same
> also made me aware of the fact that these issues have been hashed out
> and talked to death many times before, that's why I am not very happy
> about this discussion here.

And you expect every one of our users to be aware of this to know of
these features ? Do you really believe so ? Most of them, once sarge
will be released, will wonder and complain, or fill bug reports ? And
you say i am whining, only because you discard what i am saying
beforehand, and don't really hear it.

What i am trying to mention here is not what upstream gnome is doing,
but what we, debian, want to offer as feature to our users. And i can
guarantee you that missing tab completition will be a sorely missing
point in all those upgraders mind once sarge is released.

> But as I noted in another mail, I think having a Help button which
> explains the possible courses of action a bit better (or having them
> prominently in the GNOME users guide) would not hurt.

Yeah, but having the feature just work would be nicer still. After all,
isn't this what the HIG is about ? And what we tradded the higlhy
configurable gnome 1 for ?

> > > used it more than once or twice. So I totally disagree with your
> > > (subjective) opinion here.
> >
> > Well. Ok. You also disagree with the fact that tab completition (or ESC
> > competition on those SGI boes i used to use) is a long standing unix
> > tradition ?
>
> No, but tab completion works here after pressing ^L, so I don't see
> where the issue is. As you may have noticed, I opted for tab-completion

Because pressing Ctr+L is not an agreable solution.

> in Epiphany myself, but I will ask the upstream maintainers about it.

Well, i am a galeon user myself, since epiphany is another symptom of
that "we know what is best for you" dogma, so ...

Friendly,

Sven Luther