Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 01:46:20PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 01:34:36PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Sure, some of us Debian maintainer (or not) thinks so and we can
> > > continue whining on this list.
> >
> > Well, i am not sure if i am wrong, but for the package i maintain, i
> > provide an interface between the users and upstream. And i think this is
> > a reasonable way to handle packages, and somehow believe that that is
> > what is expected of debian maintainers. And here is the right place to
> > speak to the debian-gnome maintainers. But then, i don't know, maybe i
> > am wrong about this.
>
> Sure, but you voiced your concern, and relevant people told you their
> rebuttal.  Just reiterating it all the time makes it whining.

Well, that means that they have the right to reiterate the same argument
all over (it is upstream decision and that's it, windows doesn't do it
either, anything else i have missed ? i don't think so), and we have to
accept it and keep silent.

> > Now, if the debian/gnome maintainers tell us, we agree with this, but
> > upstream doesn't want to hear a thing about it, either provide a patch,
> > or help us getting the right idea upstream by writing it to that list,
> > then ok.
>
> So far, I have not seen one Debian-GNOME team member support your
> position here, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nor defend the upstream position, but i could be wrong about this, since
i don't know anymore all the debian-gnome team members.

> Two of them (Ross and Ondrej) said that your concern were documented or
> that this was the wrong list, and two upstream GNOME people (Jeff and
> Bastian) tried to explain the rationale from the GNOME POV.

Sure, sure, How would you feel if i responded to the net bug report you
fill against my package by a "just ask upstream about it".

> > And remember the HIG, there should be not a lot of options, but the
> > right default, and Ctr+ stuff to make the Gnome desktop usable is akin
> > of lot of options in some way.
>
> Actually, I knew about ^L for a long time but I can't remember having

So you are on of enlightened ?

> used it more than once or twice. So I totally disagree with your
> (subjective) opinion here.

Well. Ok. You also disagree with the fact that tab completition (or ESC
competition on those SGI boes i used to use) is a long standing unix
tradition ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther