Re: Upload of GNOME 2.6 to unstable

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 04:13:01PM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 01:14:40AM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > No. For sarge+1. Debian point releases are different.
>
> Well, I think you should consider changing that policy, called it "Sarge
> Second Edition" or something, unless you want to doom sarge from the
> start as "stable but old as dirt" like woody is.
>
> Unless you're hung up on dogma, there is no reason not to release a .1
> release in six months with a gnome refresh, *if* it has otherwise met
> the definition of "stable" in that time.  (If not, then don't).

Please be rational. You can't drop a totally new version of a major
subsystem like GNOME into a stable Debian release and expect the rest of
the system to continue working smoothly without some major testing. This
is what new full releases are for, not point releases.

This is not dogma, it's pragmatism and common release management sense.