Re: Font differences between GNOME in SID and GNOME default

Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:
> I turned the auto-hinter _on_, and now suddenly my fonts look _much_
> better now (all the lines in the font are suddenly actually aligned to
> pixel boundaries).  This is especially noticeable with CJK fonts,
> which I guess are rather demanding to display well at small sizes.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, perhaps the reason is that the japanese
ttf fonts I use (ttf-kochi-*) basically have no built-in hinting -- they
certainly look like it with the autohinter is turned off (completely
wacky with respect to pixel boundaries), so turning it on really helps!

Fonts that previously looked pretty good because they had good built-in
hinting (e.g., MS Georgia, Bitstream Vera stuff) look different now, but
not really better or worse.  Depends on taste I suppose.

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?