Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

> > - Many usability issues reported. I really like galeon; having a broken
> >   version (wrt usability) in Debian is likely to damage galeon's
> >   reputation with its current users.

It's easy to say it's totally broken, but did you file bugs?

> > - General unfinished feel. I think Debian releases should be polished
> >   products. Galeon currently lacks documentation, has many options
> >   hidden away, has some big bugs in places (printing crashes a lot for
> >   me, focus sometimes changes when pages load in background tabs,
> >   refresh bypassing X options don't work).

The documentation issue is a known one, and some people already
volunteered to update the 1.2.x doc. Some of your arguments with respect
to galeon brokeness are also present in epiphany, so I suppose epiphany
should also be removed from debian? I'm mainly thinking to the "many
options hidden away", epiphany also has some of those, and they are not
hidden for the sake of it, but because they aren't felt as being
generally useful. And these options *are* documented. The focus changing
during page load is a mozilla bug, so all gtkmozembed based browsers
have it.

> Some bug are remaining, but not a lot, and not on all systems. Perhaps
> the printing can be fix in some weeks ? Focus problems is not a RC bug
>

> > - Although less important, we should take note that gnome and red hat
> >   have not included galeon.

Wow, it's time to drop maybe 50% or 75% of debian packages if you start
to worry about what redhat includes in its distribution. redhat includes
as few packages as possible, since 1 additionnal package == 1 more
package for which they need to deal with bugs, fix them, ... So they try
not to include too much redundant stuff (they probably have few window
managers, not many text editors, ...)

Christophe