Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:34:16 +0200
Sebastien Bacher <seb128@debian.org> wrote:

> Some bug are remaining, but not a lot, and not on all systems. Perhaps
> the printing can be fix in some weeks ? Focus problems is not a RC bug

Can we really go with some "perhaps" and "it works good for me" ? I'm
thinking here just as an outsider (i'm using MozillaFirebird) that have
the current debian policy in mind, And here are the choices i concluded
to (might not be exhaustive) :

1) having the 1.3.x releases in unstable, and CVS snapshots in
experimental. But the problem there would be most of the bugs will not
be corrected in unstable, and the bug list for galeon will just grow
up. and be marked : fixed in experimental (cvs snapshot).

2) having the cvs snapshot in unstable and it doesn't follow the
current debian policy...

3) throw Galeon out of unstable, and only having the cvs snapshot in
experimental...

4) having Galeon 1.2 in unstable... as it's considered "stable" upstream
while Galeon 1.3 is considered "development". But from what i heard
Galeon 1.2 debian package is left unmaintained and it would really be
regressing... and is Galeon 1.2 really more stable than Galeon 1.3 ? And
the packaging would be impossible since it requires a gtk1 Mozilla
unavailable in unstable. And ftpmasters will never allow to have 2
Mozilla, just because of Galeon.

Which one is the good idea ? Can't answer you. But we should just keep
in mind the debian policy : we want things to be really stable, but does
it means to throw away some (loved) piece of software ?

But well for the moment the 1st choice seems to be the better, just like
the Gimp 1.3 for example. But there's a lot of chance that Galeon will
not be shipped with Sarge, because it's development (just as Gimp 1.3),
it might be a pain to think that, but should we really ship sth
incomplete and not considered stable ? For me, those development
software cannot be shipped with a stable debian.

Or maybe a lot of people will join the Galeon dev team to help them
reach the 2.0 release in a couple of weeks ? ^_^

Julien