Re: font size changes when dpi changes

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:18, Mpiktas wrote:
> Hi,

> > Possibly because they're getting their DPI setting from somewhere else
> > and not acting correctly on your changes. Anyway, *those* apps are the
> > ones showing incorrect behaviour, GNOME is doing the right thing by
> > reacting to your DPI change.
>
> Mozilla uses system setting, what does that mean I do not know. But I do not
> fully agree that GNOME is doing the right thing.

> First of all it does not
> react to DPI change.

That probably means that fontconfig and X don't use the same setting.
I'd say that's a bug.

> I have to change it manually and restart GNOME. Secondly
> the font size becomes relative. Fonts with the same size look differently in
> different DPI settings.

On the same monitor they do. That's the feature. The idea is that if you
set the DPI of two different monitors correctly and then select the same
font, measuring the size of that font with a ruler will give the same
result on both monitors. Go read my first post to understand this.

> Thirdly, because of all that in order to change
> resolution I have to restart X and after figuring out DPI GNOME, that's one
> restart too many.

I'm guessing that figuring out the DPI of your monitor(s) and setting
them in both X and GNOME will fix your problems.

> Thanx very much for your answers!

No problem.

> Mpiktas

Pedro.