Re: font size changes when dpi changes

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 19:07, Mpiktas wrote:

> I don't know if it is a fontconfig bug or gnome bug, but when X change dpi,
> and I change it accordingly in gnome-font-properties, font size changes. For
> example if font was size 13 to get the same look as before the dpi change I
> must change font size. In my situation dpi increased from 78 to 100 and all
> the fonts became bigger. So I had to change them to smaller sizes in order to
> get the same look. This concerns only gtk2 apps, mozilla and openoffice.org
> for example is not affected. If this is not a bug, then it is really strange
> behaviour.

I'd say it's neither. :) The unit 'point' is defined based on 'real'
spatial units, and DPI denotes the size of a pixel. Hence if the size in
points remains constant and the DPI varies, the size in pixels varies as
well. The idea is that the actual font size should always be the same
regardless of the DPI of the display.