Re: shutdown from within gnome

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:08:18PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> James Strandboge <jstrand1@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 20:17, Christian Marillat wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Not really insteresting if you need to type the root password in gksu.
> >
> > That is but one solution.  You can add whatever authentication mechanism
> > you want into the shutdown and reboot scripts.  They could read a file
> > for allowed users, do a pam check, use sudo, whatever.  The idea is to
> > allow more than just redhat users the chance to have shutdown and reboot
> > options.  The patch lets system admins customize it, or distributions to
> > develop a policy for it.
> >
> > All that said, I think using gksu is an interesting fallback mechanism--
> > eg try an automatic authentication, but if that doesn't work, use gksu.
>
> I really want to know why people are losing their time with that. I'm

Because it is nice to have. You can simply tell your box to switch off,
and go do other things, without having to come back a few minutes later
to do step 2. If login out of gnome was more instantenous, then this may
not be a problem, but this not being the case ... (sure i am running a
rather fast box, but an unaccelerated server).

Friendly,

Sven Luther