Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Christian Marillat wrote:

> > Certainly you can: Globally setting a key with gconftool
> > does that. You can set either default values (stored in
> > /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults) that affect *any* user who
> > do not yet have a private setting for that very key.
>
> Then this change nothing. You are trying to customize the desktop in
> the wrong way. What we are talking about is to cutomize the desktop
> for users who have already a configuration. Changing the shemas file
> changes absolutely nothing for my configuration.

That's true only if you have changed your splash screen from the
default.  Changing the default value will affect all existing users
who are using the default splash screen image.

> > | To set splash image preferences, you modify the value of the
> > | preference keys in the /apps/gnome-session/options/ location.
> > | For example, if you do not want users ever to see a splash
> > | image, set a mandatory value as follows:
> > |
> > | # gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
> > |   xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool
> > |   --set /apps/gnome-session/options/show_splash_screen false
>
> Of course newbie user can do that without any problems... How should
> I type thie line "gconftool-2 --direct ..." ?

That text is from the GNOME System Administration Guide.  It is not
intended for "newbie users".  It explains how a system administrator
can change the system-wide configuration, affecting all users.