Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> writes:

> Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:

[...]

>> for current configuration. Then tell me what do you want to change
>> that ?  You *can't* change users configurations in postinst script.
>
> Certainly you can: Globally setting a key with gconftool does
> that. You can set either default values (stored in
> /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults) that affect *any* user who do not yet
> have a private setting for that very key.

Then this change nothing. You are trying to customize the desktop in the
wrong way. What we are talking about is to cutomize the desktop for
users who have already a configuration. Changing the shemas file changes
absolutely nothing for my configuration.

[...]

> ,----
> | 1.7.3. To Set Splash Image Preferences
> |
> | To set splash image preferences, you modify the value of the
> | preference keys in the /apps/gnome-session/options/ location. For
> | example, if you do not want users ever to see a splash image, set a
> | mandatory value as follows:
> |
> | # gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
> |   xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool --set
> |   /apps/gnome-session/options/show_splash_screen false
> `----
>
> The GNOME System Administrator Guide, from where these examples are
> taken explains that nicely in more detail.

Of course newbie user can do that without any problems... How should I
type thie line "gconftool-2 --direct ..." ?

Christian