Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:

[...]

> Apparently you don't understand, changing a schema file does
> *nothing*

That's for sure. But *registering* the Schema with gconf does.

> for current configuration. Then tell me what do you want to change
> that ?  You *can't* change users configurations in postinst script.

Certainly you can: Globally setting a key with gconftool does
that. You can set either default values (stored in
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults) that affect *any* user who do not yet
have a private setting for that very key.

e.g.:

,----
| To set palatino 12 as the default desktop object font, run the
| following command:
|
| # gconftool-2 --direct --config-source \
| xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type string --set \
| /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_font "palatino 12"
`----

Or you can even impose mandatory settings (stored in
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory, that are enforced by gconfd and
override *any* user-level customization (something, Debian sure
shouldn't do!):

,----
| 1.7.3. To Set Splash Image Preferences
|
| To set splash image preferences, you modify the value of the
| preference keys in the /apps/gnome-session/options/ location. For
| example, if you do not want users ever to see a splash image, set a
| mandatory value as follows:
|
| # gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
|   xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool --set
|   /apps/gnome-session/options/show_splash_screen false
`----

The GNOME System Administrator Guide, from where these examples are
taken explains that nicely in more detail.

[...]

Thanks,

Johannes

--