Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> for current configuration. Then tell me what do you want to change
>>> that ?  You *can't* change users configurations in postinst script.
>>
>> Certainly you can: Globally setting a key with gconftool does
>> that. You can set either default values (stored in
>> /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults) that affect *any* user who do not yet
>> have a private setting for that very key.
>
> Then this change nothing. You are trying to customize the desktop in the
> wrong way. What we are talking about is to cutomize the desktop for
> users who have already a configuration. Changing the shemas file changes
> absolutely nothing for my configuration.

That's true _only_ for that subset of keys that you have changed.

*Hardly anyone* will change _all_ keys.

*Most users* probably won't ever change
/apps/panel/options/splash_image.

So if you change the default, it will affect *all* but those few that
have already chosen a custom Splash image.

What's wrong about that? I'd say it's the best way I can imagine.

If someone has already deliberately chosen a custom splash image, s/he
is probably happy with it and nothing else should be imposed on
them. All others get a funky new Debian splash.

That's respecting users' freedom of choice.

Just my 2 €-cent

Thanks,

Johannes

--