Re: The new GNOME maintenance team

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:16:36PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Mark Howard <mh@debian.org> writes:
>
> >> So some maintainers have decided to create a GNOME Maintenance team.
> >
> > Who are these people?
>
> Look on the first mail on this list about this.

Maybe an idea is this. Let the team prepare 2.4 experimental packages
and upload them to experimental. If this works out well, and the package
are of good quality and bug are fixed in a timely manner, then the team
will have proven that it can handle it, and the package can in time be
uploaded to unstable. If this is a failure, we can smply forget about
the team idea, and revert to the old manner, which as it was in unstable
was not influenced with this.

This is a parallel of what happened with X, where Daniel Stone prepared
single-handledly 4.3.0 packages, and later joined the X strike force
with Branden and some others.

What do the gnome maintainer think of this, i know there has been some
personality clashes between certain of the gnome maintainers and certain
other persons, but would you accept such a trial, which would not
interfere at all with the packages in unstable, and would make sure we
don't abandon a model were we had despite all that was said good quality
packages for the unknown that this team model represent ?

Also, this would have the double benefit of having a 2.4 version of
gnome in experimental (altough it is not autobuilt, but we can do this by
hand, as the RM said), while Christian for example didn't wish to
maintain such packages.

BTW, i think that ideally there should be two maintainer team per big
group of packages or X for example, one working on the current version
of the packages, and the other preparing for the next version and
uploading to experimental.

Friendly,

Sven Luther