Re: The new GNOME maintenance team

Mark Howard <mh@debian.org> writes:

>> So some maintainers have decided to create a GNOME Maintenance team.
>
> Who are these people?

Look on the first mail on this list about this.

> There's been a reply saying somebody wants to hand over a package to the
> team, rather than join the team, continue maintaining their packages to
> their current level and also improve other packages.

Yes, and no problem with that. Noel Koethe (you are talking about his mail
?) just said he has not a lot of time for this package and he thinks
that it'll be better to have it maintain by the team.

> I think lots of other gnome maintainers have similar thoughts - by
> joining the gnome strike force, they will have help with their packages.
> This is completely wrong. For the project to work, all gnome maintainers
> will have to put in far more effort.

What are saying ? That people want to give their packages to the team to
stop working on them ? I don't think so ...

> We might not like the way some of the bug reports in gnome are handled,
> but the packages are made quickly and are made well. Do you people truly
> believe you can all do a better job? Can you take on an extra 3 (?) packages
> each?

What are you talking about ? Do you think that all people will give
their package and left debian or stop doing work ? If they want to do
that no need of the team to orphan the package ... I think they'll
continue to work.

> I'm not arguing that something could be done to help with gnome in
> Debian at the moment, I just think that a sudden move of all gnome
> related packages from a system where things work well to team
> maintainership would be a disaster, especially without the cooperation
> of the current maintainers.

Have you read my mail ? The team is not going to take the package from
the maintainer ... and if people want to orphan some packages no need of
a team for that.
In my opinion, most of maintainers will continue to take care of their
packages with the help of the team, it should work fine ...

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher