Re: GDM and locales

Jérôme Warnier, 2003-09-11 12:20:16 +0200 :

> [...]
>
>> I wholeheartedly agree here, a global locale configuration would be a
>> great improvement. However, it looks quite difficult to achieve this for
>> sarge, as it requires at least glibc and pam packaging changes. So it
>> looks rather likely that sarge's locales will still be configured with
>> LANG in /etc/environment (note that's why my change only reads the LANG
>> variable, not the whole file). And it would really be a shame not to
>> have a localized gdm when it is so easy to achieve.
> I used to put $CUPS_SERVER in /etc/environment. The recent changes in
> GDM broke that and I had to face it by setting $CUPS_SERVER into
> /etc/profile.
>
> Just to let you know there are other usages of /etc/environment...

Then maybe the best way would be to officially decree that
/etc/environment is not owned by PAM only any more, but can be used
for all system settings, even those that have to take effect before
login.

  Of course, then I don't see why gdm should limit itself to parsing
only the value for $LANG :-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas