Re: GDM and locales

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 01:02:52AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> First, it looks for the locale defined by the locales debconf
> configuration (sitting in /etc/environment) to launch the daemon with

/etc/environment is a configuration file for pam_env.so.  It isn't a "global
default locale" file, it's a list of environment variables to be set at
login time.  There probably should be a global default locale file, and the
system startup scripts should probably take this setting as early as possible
during system bootup.  Individual /etc/init.d scripts will also need to
read it.  At the same time, we should probably look at sanitizing the
environment in every /etc/init.d script to boot-time like settings, rather
than using whatever settings might have been around at the time.

> pam_env.so again, as the pam maintainers stated it is necessary at least
> for sarge.

I'll be putting all of the default modules back in the next upload.

> (Note that the other annoying issue - greeter crashing - is solved by
> today's libart upload.)

Good.

> Ryan, any comments?

I'll be uploading the pam change, but I will not be adding things that source
/etc/environment

--
Ryan Murray, Debian Developer (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@debian.org)
The opinions expressed here are my own.