Re: GDM and locales

Le mer 10/09/2003 à 23:35, Ryan Murray a écrit :
> /etc/environment is a configuration file for pam_env.so.  It isn't a "global
> default locale" file, it's a list of environment variables to be set at
> login time.  There probably should be a global default locale file, and the
> system startup scripts should probably take this setting as early as possible
> during system bootup.  Individual /etc/init.d scripts will also need to
> read it.  At the same time, we should probably look at sanitizing the
> environment in every /etc/init.d script to boot-time like settings, rather
> than using whatever settings might have been around at the time.

I wholeheartedly agree here, a global locale configuration would be a
great improvement. However, it looks quite difficult to achieve this for
sarge, as it requires at least glibc and pam packaging changes. So it
looks rather likely that sarge's locales will still be configured with
LANG in /etc/environment (note that's why my change only reads the LANG
variable, not the whole file). And it would really be a shame not to
have a localized gdm when it is so easy to achieve.

> I'll be putting all of the default modules back in the next upload.

Okay, great.