Re: Today's the day...

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 00:28, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Ok, #commits is full of 2.4.0 release logs... congrats to the @gnome.org
> > folks reading this :)
> >
> > Now, in the last thread regarding what to do with the Sarge transition,
> > apparently we decided to wait till 2.2 gets in testing entirely before
> > moving to GNOME 2.4.
>
> We have decided that ? Why not uploading 2.4 in unstable now ? There is
> no freeze of gnome 2.2 packages for the moment, and I don't think that the
> glibc will be completly ok within 10 days, so gnome 2.4 package will reach
> testing as far as 2.2 packages can do it.
> It seems that gnome 2.4 is quite stable, there is not a lot of big
> changes and breakages ... perhaps is it a good candidate for unstable
> now ?

You're assuming that the new versions don't introduce new bugs. I think
that is overly optimistic. As an example I have been completely unable
to build a correctly working metacity on alpha from the development
series since May. There are bound to be things that need fixing.

Having said that I sure would hope that 2.4 makes it into the next
release. It IS better.

Cheers,
Jens