Re: Today's the day...

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:23:42PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Portalier Julien <julien@portalier.com> writes:
> > Dude... if X 4.3 is needed by Gnome 2.4 (or even only the
> > control-center), we're far to see it in Debian...
>
> I'm not sure I really want to know, but why does 2.4 (or the
> control-center in 2.4) require X 4.3?  Gnome 2.2 seems to run happily
> under X 3.6.x...

I have not really checked, but since there was speak of the
control-center being the one needing it, i guess that it is because it
includes some stuff using libxcursor or something, and is able to use
set the new transparent alpha-blended cursor.

Other possibility is that gnome 2.4 makes uses of the render extension,
which is only present in 4.3.0.

In the first case, it is easily disabled i think, in the second case, i
guess it would be much more difficult if there is not a disabling option
builtin.

Anyway, packaging 2.4 in experimental sounds fine, my objection is that
it is difficult to separate experimental stuff wanted from other random
breakage that was in experimental before, but until we have experimental
subpools, this cannot be helped, altough the pinning stuff should help a
lot. I guess most people would not know about it though, nor if some
kind of doc for experimental is needed.

Friendly,

Sven Luther