Re: gnome-terminal and who

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:32:39PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> And what's happen when I can't reproduce a bug ? I keep bugs on the
> BTS with a nice unreproducible tag without forwarding these bugs to
> upstream. In that case filing a bug on the BTS doesn't help at all.
>
> When I see that at least 99% of my bugs reports are upstream and 50% are
> unreproducible.
>
> Christian

If your users won't respond with more information about the bug report
for them, and you can't reproduce it either, it's reasonable to close
the bug after some period of time. If they can reproduce it but you
can't it must be some configuration difference between your systems
that requires further investigation. Some bugs you just can't reproduce,
but the user reliably can with every new version.

A lot of bugs that I've had on Gaim, and thought were unreproducable
etc, have actually disappeared in new versions, and been explained later
with patches that found and fixed little problems. It's in the nature
of complicated packages that some bugs go unexplained for long periods,
but whilst the user can still reproduce them they are still valid
reports. Just look at X, dpkg, etc, for bug reports that are years old.

It's not some karma thing, it's about having the bug tracking system
reflect the known and confirmable issues with the package (*and* the
software it maintains). Shooting down bugs you can't reproduce or
complaining that the problem is upstream and people should take it there
really undermines the usefulness of the system for developers and users.

Regards,
Rob