Re: gnome-terminal and who

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 09:54:08PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> The problem is really clear for vte. I've *never* seen any announce (I'm
> subscribed to gnome-announce) that this package was unstable a,d so
> broken. Nalin (the upstream) has never released any unstable package
> before this one.
>
> Now I'll upload a new package when the utmp entry will be fixed. And
> don't forget you are using unstable.
>
> Christian

OK, so maybe this is a case where you could be forgiven, but on my systems
gnome-terminal is still *very* unstable. Unless there is a good reason,
and upstream is in agreement, we should only have the specific versions
of all of the software listed here:
 http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.2/2.2.1/sources/

Any not any newer versions! For a large, integrated body of software like
GNOME it doesn't make sense to pick random higher versions at risk of
breaking the well-engineered stable and co-ordinated releases they do -
especially when it comes down to libraries and very core desktop
components like you maintain. Especially if they specifically asked
us not to.

What we also need to bear in mind is that even though this is unstable,
the only path by which code can get into a Debian release is via
unstable to testing and then stable. It's not meant to be the software
itself that's unstable, it's meant to be the state of the distribution -
in constant flux and in an unknown state of coherency.

Accordingly, I always endeavour only to upload things that are called
stable by upstream, and only when I'm fairly confident that if that
version hit testing and got froze there, I wouldn't need to send begging
letters to have it updated or removed because of many RC bugs. If you
want to run ahead and package unstable upstream versions, or CVS versions,
experimental or people.d.o is a good place (something the libstdc++5
maintainers should consider? =).

Regards,
Rob