Re: gnome-terminal and who

Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Robert McQueen <robot101@debian.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> This mainly directed at Christian: *If* having an unstable libvte4 version
>
> This is mainly directed to /dev/null
>
> I like this sort of words...

Christian, don't take it personally. I think everybody agrees, Robert
included, that you are doing a superb job maintaining the Gnome
packages, and coordinating Gnome development in Debian (the Gnome
summaries you post, your diligency WRT bugs against your packages, etc.)
I for one thank you for all the work you are doing, and am happy that
the Gnome Debian packages are in such good hands.

But I think Robert has a point, and he was not trying to diminish your
work or insult you. On the contrary, I think he is giving good
constructive critisism on how to improve the situation of some packages
(like libvte4 and gnome-terminal). There are definitely some problems in
these unstable packages that don't seem to be present in the stable
versions, and than one Gnome upstream developer has politely adviced
against having these unstable packages even in Debian unstable.

Of course, you are the maintainer of the Debian packages, and you call
the shots here, but if you just want to keep up with the upstream
bleeding edge and have packages ready as soon as upstream releases them
as stable, uploading to experimental instead of unstable might not be a
bad idea. I respect whatever decision you take, especially since I am
getting into the habit of just putting on hold critical packages like
libvte4 so I can keep running the stable versions.

I was very happy when metacity was downgraded in unstable to the stable
versions. Having the bleeding edge metacity was giving more headaches
than anything else.

Cheers,

Eloy.-