Re: GNOME 2.2 pref. dialogs getting too dumbed down?

On 25 Jan 2003 22:21:05 -0500
Sean Harshbarger <harshbarger.13@osu.edu> wrote:

> > > O lord this sound way to much like something on that other
> > > operating system.
> >
> > I'll have to agree with you there. It's starting to annoy me how in
> > an effort to make userfriendly and GNOME HIG (Human Interface
> > Guideline) compliant, more and more of its advanced options are
> > disappearing from the preferences dialogs and can only be changed
> > messing with gconf. Galeon 2 (galeon-snapshot) is a prime example of
> > this nonsense. In my opinion, if GNOME keeps heading this way, it's
> > going to start alienating some of its more intermediate to advanced
> > users.
> >
> The idea is to taylor for the new user and the advanced user. If you
> are new you dont need to mess with the settings in gconf. 90% of new
> users leave things as is anyway. All the advanced users on the planet
> will want to customize deeper then whats graphically presented and
> since gconf has the more "dangerous" (not the exact word I would use)
> they can just go there and do it. Its about making a desktop everyone
> can use. Granted it does look and feel like that other OS...but it
> helps to trim the fat where its not needed all the time.

Well i understand your point, but well tell me how i can (in a clean
way) remove gconf personnal settings ? I removed galeon-snapshots,
removed ~/.galeon-snapshot but oh, surprise didn't thought i had too a
galeon-snapshot gconf entry ... how can i remove it ? The only solution
i found is to remove ~/.gconf/apps/galeon-snapshot ...

It creates two preferences locations... only one should be enough, don't
you think ? I'm not sure gconf is really a good solution, because once
all gnome apps are going to use it will become quite hard to manage i
think... for now only a few applications are using it so it's not too
hard to manage with something like gconf-editor (since you don't want to
remove anything)

One bug for example : i removed galeon-snapshot but i still have the
gconf options when i run gconf-editor ... hum, going to run "rm -rf
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/galeon-snapshot" but well i hope it
was only a packaging bug...

Julien