Re: GNOME 2.2 pref. dialogs getting too dumbed down?

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 22:13, Andrew Lau wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:22:46PM +0100, Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> > > Turn off the gconf setting /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
> > > (by using gconf-editor, for example).
> >
> > O lord this sound way to much like something on that other operating
> > system.
>
> I'll have to agree with you there. It's starting to annoy me how in an
> effort to make userfriendly and GNOME HIG (Human Interface Guideline)
> compliant, more and more of its advanced options are disappearing from
> the preferences dialogs and can only be changed messing with
> gconf. Galeon 2 (galeon-snapshot) is a prime example of this
> nonsense. In my opinion, if GNOME keeps heading this way, it's going
> to start alienating some of its more intermediate to advanced users.

The idea is to taylor for the new user and the advanced user. If you are
new you dont need to mess with the settings in gconf. 90% of new users
leave things as is anyway. All the advanced users on the planet will
want to customize deeper then whats graphically presented and since
gconf has the more "dangerous" (not the exact word I would use) they can
just go there and do it. Its about making a desktop everyone can use.
Granted it does look and feel like that other OS...but it helps to trim
the fat where its not needed all the time.

--
Sean Harshbarger

http://coaster.sourceforge.net Coaster - The Gnome CD Burner