Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 02:27:26PM +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:

> Can you not see this is a very important breakage, and not being able to
> install two -dev packages isn't?

I've been following this thread with great interest.  I just want to share
a real-world instance of how not being able to install two -dev packages
can be a serious problem.  I help administer a cluster environment for
computer science students.  I need to provide both the gnome and kde
development environments to non-expert, non-root users.  In sarge,
at least, this is still not possible, due to the libpng problem.

Some of the solutions suggested here - apt-get'ing back and forth or
building in a chroot environment - may be fine for folks like you,
but not for my users.

I really appreciate the effort you are all obviously making to do the
right thing.  I just figured I ought to speak up after reading that
comment...

John