Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

Ryan Murray <rmurray@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:37:27AM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:

[...]

>   libpanel-applet2-dev libpng3-dev libwmf-dev libwnck-dev libzvbi-dev
>   libzvt2.0-dev
>   libpng2-dev

> You are lazy?  I don't see that as a GOOD reason to break an ABI and
> backwards compatibility for our users.  I use sbuild to build things
> in a chroot in any case, so that my packages on hold or taken from
> random repositories don't influence the builds.  Others use pbuilder.
> Perhaps you might want to look at building in a chroot, if you find
> this such a big problem.

Since when an user should install a chrooot environment to install a
package ? This is unacceptable.

[...]

> You just need to bump the gdk-pixbuf soname and build this package
> against libpng3-dev. Whats wrong with that ? Nothing. Old packages
> linked against libgdk-pixbuf2 still continue to works.

> What's wrong with that?  Random third party applications no longer have
> the library available, and stop running.  Hardly a service to our users just
> so developers can be lazy.  Old packages linked against libgdk-pixbuf2 would
> become uninstallable, as libgdk-pixbuf2 would no longer exist, and Debian

No. You just need to rename he original tarball and libraries like Steve
M. Robbins did for gdk-imlib. This will solve this problem definitely.

> will be unique in being the only distro with libgdk-pixbuf3 for gnome1.  The
> soname of the library is for upstream to set, not for packagers to muddle
> with, if one cares about compatibility.

Anyway this will be the latest gdk-pixbuf upstream tarball for G1, then
there is no importance to change the libraries soname.

Christian