Re: GNOME 1 ABI involving libpng

CW> The real solution to the problem of parallel installation of GNOME 1 and
CW> GNOME 2 development libraries is to hack GTK+ to load png3 without
CW> RTLD_GLOBAL.  Thus, GTK+ (and the rest of GNOME 2) won't care what png
CW> development headers you have installed.

CW> (time passes...)

CW> Ok, I just snarfed the gtk 2.0.6 SRPM from RedHat's (null) beta.  It
CW> looks like the following patch is relevant, although I'm not quite sure
CW> I understand how it would affect dynamic module loading.

That patch won't be needed in this case. if doesn't specify
-export-symbols-regex option, libtool will do export all
symbols.
For this issue, I don't remember why I added those packages
to Depends(perhaps from discussion with Marcelo?), if some
applications depends on gtk+2.0 and uses some png file but
doesn't link libpng directly, libpng3-dev isn't needed to
build such applications. I mean libpng3-dev is just needed
to build the applications/libraries which depends on libpng
directly.

I think adding libpng3-dev to Build-Depends in the
applications/libraries which actually needs it is enough.
so we may remove libpng3-dev from libgtk2.0-dev's Depends.

Regards,
--
Akira TAGOH  : tagoh@gnome.gr.jp  / Japan GNOME Users Group
at@gclab.org : tagoh@gnome-db.org / GNOME-DB Project