Re: Lost window manager?

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 11:17:58AM +0100, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
[snip]

>  Ewwww.
>
>  Perhaps I forgot to mention that I'm using GDM to log in and I'm
>  selecting "GNOME Session" there.  If I select "Debian", the X session
>  manager is used instead of the GNOME session manager.  The X Session
>  Manager leaves me with a desktop where I can't do anything since
>  there's no window manager running :-)  And the x-window-manager
>  alternative points to /usr/bin/wmaker.
>
>  My problem _now_ is that I did something which upset gnome-wm or
>  gnome-session (I don't know which -- I'm gessing the later) and I don't
>  get a window manager after logging with a GNOME session.

I've never used this gnome-wm thing you're talking about.  Perhaps it's
deprecated with GNOME2?  Anyway, the best way I've found to get a wm running
is to do "killall old-wm; sleep 1; new-wm &".  Supposedly with metacity you
can do "metacity --replace" instead, but I haven't tried it, and I think it
was said to not work with sawfish?  anyway, can you not just start the new wm
from a terminal after logging in?

Sean