Lost window manager?

Hi,

 I'm not sure which package is at fault, so I rather ask here instead of
 submitting a bug and have people play ping-pong with it...

 I did something which caused gnome-session (?) to not start a window
 manager anymore.  I _am_ hunting for the reason why there's a 10 second
 pause between starting Window Maker and the rest of the start up
 (launching the panel and so on).  After not finding anything unusual in
 waimea's code (my "reference implementation"), I wanted to switch from
 Window Maker to waimea in order to check that this pause really doesn't
 exist with other window managers.  I ran:

    $ gnome-wm --default-wm waimea

 which didn't work since Window Maker was running at the time.  I then
 stopped Window Maker and ran that again, and it worked.  I logged out,
 I logged back in, and lo and behold, there was Window Maker again.  I
 then used gconf-editor to edit the corresponding key[0] and set it to
 waimea (it was set to wmaker).  AFAIR, that didn't work either.  I then
 started waimea, started the gnome-session properties thingie, and it
 wasn't anywhere to be found.  So I closed the session, checked "save
 this settings" (or whatever the option is called) on the dialog box,
 logged back in, and presto!  No window manager.

 Now I can't get gnome-(wm|session) to start a window manager.  The
 other relevant (?) key[1] is set to "wmaker" right now.  It was unset
 before.

 $ gconftool -g /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current
 wmaker
 $ gconftool -g /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default
 wmaker

 Ideas?

 [0] /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default
 [1] /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current