Re: Gnome2 for woody

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 14:59, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 12:35:45PM -0400, Joe Drew wrote:
> > Unstable isn't for users. Period. By the time sarge releases we *will*
> > have a transition between gnome 1.4->gnome 2 (via Ximian and Red Hat);
> > until then, things can remain as they are.
>
> This is the most ass-backwards thing I've read on this list yet.  You know
> just as well as I do that users _do_ use sid.

Then, when it breaks, they can keep both pieces. It's not called
"unstable" or "testing" for nothing. If you want a stable computer,
woody is the one you want. For unstable and testing, GNOME 2 is the
correct way to go.

That's not to say that other people agree with this. I actually think
for the core GNOME2 packages (like the panel, etc) it'd be better to
have a transition from the *2 packages to the normal GNOME package names
-  but that's up to the maintainers of those packages.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

"This particular group of cats is mostly self-herding." -- Bdale Garbee