Re: Script for converting gnome-terminal configuration

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 03:19:28PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> I did a little shell script to convert the gnome-terminal configuration from
> 1.4 to 2.0
>
> Restrictions : gconf don't want the old fonts name like
> "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-*-120-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15" then
> nothing is converted.
>
> word wrap selection is a problem if a special character is present like "&"
>
> Any idea to fix this problem ?

As long as gnome-terminal uses zvt, this is trivial to fix.  As soon as it
is converted to vte, you lose the ability, however:

/apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/x-font

Set that to the X font name above and gnome-terminal will work, though it
may currently break if you go into the font selector config (which has
known bugs where it just doesn't let you select a good number of valid
fonts..)

Note, vte will change this - the old fonts are not valid under vte at all
because it uses pango for font rendering.  Xft2 is required to even use a
pcf font (like the one above) with vte, and Debian doesn't have it.  Even
if it did, the X font name would not be used, you'd have to come up with
the Pango name.  Why the hell Havoc would do this is beyond me, but he's
made it quite clear that vte fixes most gnome-terminal woes and that Xft2
will be required to fix most vte woes.  Since we're used to the former, we
should at least try to prevent the latter.  =)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>         <-- That boy needs therapy

<netgod> is it me, or is Knghtbrd snoring?
<joeyh> they killed knghtbrd!
<netgod> Kysh: wichert, gecko, joeyh, and I are in a room trying to ignore
          Knghtbrd
<Kysh> netgod: Knghtbrd is hard to ignore.