Re: Gnome2 for woody

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 03:07:49PM -0400, Joe Drew wrote:
> > This is the most ass-backwards thing I've read on this list yet.  You know
> > just as well as I do that users _do_ use sid.
>
> Then, when it breaks, they can keep both pieces. It's not called
> "unstable" or "testing" for nothing. If you want a stable computer,
> woody is the one you want. For unstable and testing, GNOME 2 is the
> correct way to go.

Then stable must not be allowed to become two and a half years old as
happened this last time.  If people can't use stable because it won't even
run on their hardware, OF COURSE they will use testing.  What other option
do they have?  Red Hat maybe?

Note, as an aside, that woody will not install on my system.  I tried this
in May, warned that 2.4.19 or Andre's IDE patch was necessary to install
on any system with an ATA133 controller (which is most new machines..)
Here's July, woody is _finally_ released, and still won't install on my
machine.  Stable's not good for much if people can't use it.

> That's not to say that other people agree with this. I actually think
> for the core GNOME2 packages (like the panel, etc) it'd be better to
> have a transition from the *2 packages to the normal GNOME package names
> -  but that's up to the maintainers of those packages.

So stop advocating _no_ transition if you support otherwise.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>               Crazy in the coconut

* joeyh takes advantage of netscape's marvelous ability to crash to close
        10 windows with a single keypress
<joeyh> now that's progress!
<Knghtbrd> Bus error  =>