Re: GNOME-2 transition: a first complaint

On Sat, 2002-06-29 at 18:17, Marek Habersack wrote:

> As I wrote previously, the options I've been asked about (and it happens
> that I've been using them myself) were the workspace switching wrap option,
> the opaque vs. wireframe move/resize options.

Havoc has many times argued about the option stuff on mailing lists and
other forums. You might me interested in reading one of the pieces here
http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html and the Metacity README
which also deals with philosophical questions
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/metacity/README . In the FAQ section
there he specifically talks about the viewports vs. workspaces argument.
The gist is, the differences between both ar largely accidental. There
is no reason other than the state of implementation that workspaces in
sawfish currently can't be arranged in a grid with associated
keybindings. So if you want that, it makes far more sense to file a
feature request for workspaces than an argument to reintroduce
viewports. This was all along Havoc's line of thought, which was often
misunderstood. It's not about removing options. It's about sane design
and implementation. If then there are issues that can't be resolved
other than by letting users choose, so be it - you then have a sensible
option. Viewports/Workspaces is not: sawfish had viewports that could do
part of the things possible with them, and workspaces that could do
partly other things, and also not everything possible with them. I think
Havoc is right here: this makes no sense

> For me it's just a matter of
> personal preference - I don't like the visual effect of moving a full window
> or resizing a full window - but people who asked me have slightly older and
> slower hardware where the video card simply doesn't do well when a full
> window is dragged/resized. That's about the only options I'd like to see
> configurable somewhere.

And I'm absolutely shure that Havoc sees that as a sensible option, as
the issue can't be resolved any other way and is absolutely
understandable by users. Even the most basic wm used in a modern OS,
i.e., Windows', can do that.