Re: GNOME-2 transition: a first complaint

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 02:02:10AM +1000, Jeff Waugh scribbled:
> <quote who="Marek Habersack">
>
> > Oh well... :) He sounds a bit bitter and disappointed... Although I don't
> > fully agree with what he wrote, I guess there's nothing to do but to
> > accept the decision.
>
> He's just tired... It's *very* hard being the maintainer of a hugely popular
> piece of software. He has a new job, and handling the audience that GNOME
> has is not really his greatest interest at this point.
That's fully understandable...

> > As long as the options are settable anywhere, I'm fine with it :)).
>
> Which options do you "need" and why? GNOME is not continuing down it's old
> path of having fifty million unique preferences and no consensus on sensible
> behaviour.
As I wrote previously, the options I've been asked about (and it happens
that I've been using them myself) were the workspace switching wrap option,
the opaque vs. wireframe move/resize options. For me it's just a matter of
personal preference - I don't like the visual effect of moving a full window
or resizing a full window - but people who asked me have slightly older and
slower hardware where the video card simply doesn't do well when a full
window is dragged/resized. That's about the only options I'd like to see
configurable somewhere.

> > Hmm, another question has just popped up in my mind. Looking at the lack
> > of the window manager configuration applet in the control panel and
> > reading some messages here and there I've gotten the impression that GNOME
> > is aiming at tight window manager integration with the desktop (kind of
> > the KDE one) - is that true or is it just my (incorrect) impression?
>
> We're definitely aiming for tight integration (why wouldn't we?) but there's
That's ok as long as the integration isn't too tight - as to the point where
one cannot switch to a different window manager.

> no one standing in the way of (whilst there's plenty of people interested
> in) an advanced window manager selection capplet (it would probably end up
> in the Preferred Applications capplet).
That would be great. Is anybody working on it? If not, I might give it a try
(although, so far, I've never written a piece of GNOME-specific code - but
that would be a great opportunity to learn)

> Most of your questions would be best answered on GNOME's desktop-devel-list,
> rather than the Debian package maintainer's list.
I guess you're right ;) - it's just that something inside me is against
subscribing to yet another voluminous mailing list, haha :)). But I suppose
that would be the right way :)

TIA,

marek