Re: should gnome-terminal depend on scrollkeeper?

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 04:04:14AM +0200, Mourad De Clerck wrote:
> I was just starting to install gnome2 on a machine with no gui installed
> yet.
>
> simply did apt-get install gnome-session2 gnome-terminal (I'm adding as
> I go)
>
> the result was:
>
> gnome-terminal.postinst: scrollkeeper-update: command not found

Do you really want it to depend on scrollkeeper?  =p

scrollkeeper-update takes 25 minutes here and every single Gnome2 package
seems to call it.  I commented that it was broken for every single Gnome2
package to delay installation for long periods of time running a command
that is going to take a very long time on slow network connections, but
nobody seems to have listened to me yet.

Meanwhile, an apt-get dist-upgrade continues to be a several-hour thing
because all of these packages insist on rerunning scrollkeeper-update each
time one of them is upgraded, in the foreground, and without deferring the
task until all such updates can be made at once..  =(

A better mechanism is needed.

> While I'm at it, quick question about the new gnome-terminal:
>
> I kept using gnome-terminal1 because the font I was using - fixed (misc)
> - isn't available in the same sizes in gnome-terminal2. There's two
> sizes for it: 12 and 13. In version 1 I was using something like 20. Now
> that gnome-terminal2 is uploaded in unstable as gnome-terminal, I don't
> have a choice anymore. Not that I really mind, 2 seems superior to 1 in
> a lot of aspects - I just would like to use fixed(misc) with size 20
> again. Anyone any idea?

This is a known bug in gnome-terminal2.  To fix it, open up gconf-editor
and alter /apps/gnome-terminal/profile/Default/x_font to the X font name
you want.  Havoc knows what the problem is and will fix it soon, in
theory.  =)

WARNING: DO NOT TOUCH THE FONT SETTING AFTER DOING THIS!  Even just
clicking on the control in the preferences dialog will throw away your
settings.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>               Crazy in the coconut

<Chalky> gcc is the best compressor ever ported to linux. it can turn
         12MB of kernel source (and that's .debbed) into a 500k kernel